"Women are more skilled than men at making gossip entertaining." - Kate Fox
I can see the silent nods and a nasty smile on many men's face after reading that quote. Well! I am not being feminist but here is a research that states that men gossip more than or as much as women. Find out what are the topics that interest them and all about men's gossips
The Social Issues Research Centre (SIRC), a nonprofit think tank in England, recently interviewed 1,000 cellphone users about how they use their phones for gossip and how gossip affects their lives. All the women in the survey admitted that 'gossips' are a part of their lives, but many male participants initially denied that they gossip. However the study found that 33 percent of men indulge in gossip almost every day, compared with 26 percent of women.
What do men gossip about?
Here is a list of them,
- Men gossip as much as women about colleagues they would like to go to bed with
- They are interested in talking about potential mates and sexual rivals even those who already have a girlfriend or partner.
- Men also spend more time talking about themselves than women. They name the conversation 'Networking'.
- Men mostly gossip with work colleagues, love partners and female friends; women prefer to dish primarily with female friends and relatives.
- Other things men gossip about are work, politics or other highbrow topics less than 5 percent of the time, unless women are present.
- Men and women love to read, watch and talk about celebrity gossip, that not only talk about controversies but also talk about their romance, weddings, pregnancies and babies.
- Men love to watch gossip shows. If you deny then have you watched ESPN lately. It is the gossip heaven for men.
Benefits of gossip
There are many article on the net that talk about ill effects of gossips and the plight of gossip victims. However do you know that gossip is not a dark crown? Scholars say that gossip fulfills an important role in our daily interactions and it is essential for human survival as gossip unites people, calms them, warns about bad behaviour and even entertains them. Gossip helps in normalising and re-inforceing moral boundaries in a speech-community.
Gossip is a social skill, not a character flaw. It's only when you don't do it well that you get into trouble. However that doesn't gives us the freedom to talk anything about anybody. One has to keep in mind to watch what he/she say about others because, you would not want false information floating about you on the next day. To end with gender really does not have much to do about who gossips. It is a individual personality trait. However, you have to admit that men do gossip.