If you are dating a narcissist then beware. It is like living in a house of mirrors. A narcissist is person who is totally in love with himself or herself. It is good to love oneself but narcissists overdo it to the extent that they see, hear and feel no one but themselves. The word comes from the story of Echo and Narcissus. Narcissus was in love with Echo but the later kept eluding him with her capacity to magnify sound. One day while being led by Echo's sound, Narcissus saw his image in the water and fell in love with himself!
If you fear that you are dating a narcissist then look for these signs of a narcissist in him or her.
Identify The Signs Of A Narcissist:
- If you are dating a narcissist then you will find him or her catching a glimpse of their image in the mirror every now and then. It will not be restricted to mirrors either. You will find them looking into reflecting glass surfaces, black granite, water and even the back of their mobile phones to admire themselves.
- If your are dating a narcissist girl then she will expect you to compliment her every minute but never return your compliments. If your boyfriend is a narcissist and you fail to notice his new haircut then all hell will break loose!
- There is a thin line of difference between narcissism and vanity. Vanity means that you take too much pride in yourself be it your beauty or knowledge or position. It has an element of ego and self respect in it. However narcissists are people who are passionately in love with themselves. They admire themselves in the mirror not out of pride but out of love.
- They say that women have more vanity than men. But is not necessary that women are more narcissistic compared to women. There is a pretty good chance that your boyfriend turns out a narcissist so don't rule out the option.
- Talking too much about yourself is the sign of a narcissist. As you love yourself so much all your life's intricate details are interesting to you. So if a narcissist starts talking about himself or herself there is no stopping him or her. They do not do this out of pride. It just does not occur to them that other people may not be interested in their life.
- Self obsession is a sure shot way to identify a narcissist. Observe your partners speech carefully and make a note of how many times he uses the word 'I' in his monologues. If he is obsessed with himself then his speech will be punctuated by repeated use of 'I, I, I..'
If you are dating narcissist then he or she may not be harmful to you. They will just be deaf to your problems and issues because according to them nobody deserves more attention than themselves. Use these relationship tips to find out.