This was originally my grandmother’s recipe. Often, when my mother served this recipe it evoked childhood memories of my father talking about walking two miles to a one-room schoolhouse. The warmth and intimate feelings of that time are tasted throughout this recipe.
So Simple Chili Soup
2 15oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz. can chopped tomatoes
3 cups water
1 medium green bell pepper, cut in cubes
1 medium red bell pepper, cut in cubes
1 medium onion, cut in cubes
¼ cup dried or canned refried beans
3 Tablespoons Earth Balance or olive oil
¼ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Dash of cayenne
- Mix the seasonings — the last six ingredients — together.
- Heat kidney beans with water and half the seasoning mix in two-quart pot.
- Sauté onion, peppers and fresh garlic in Earth Balance until tender in a medium pan. Add the other half of the seasonings to the vegetables a few minutes before they are done.
- Stir the sautéed vegetables into the pot of bean mixture along with the canned tomatoes. Simmer covered for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add refried beans and cook another 10 minutes uncovered. Stir often to make sure the beans don’t stick.
- For a spicier dish, add more cayenne.