Friday, May 31, 2013

How Do You Choose Between a Man and Cat?

black-woman-with-cat - How Do You Choose Between a Man and Cat - siamese cats

Every Thursday on Catster, singer/songwriter and cat lady extraordinaire Sarah Donner answers a question from readers about their cat issues — in song. This is one such question and answer. If Care2 readers have a question for Sarah, please leave them in the comments below and you might be featured in an upcoming edition of Ask a Cat Lady with Sarah Donner.
Some sample questions include: “Is it OK to trim my cat’s curly whiskers?“, “Can my cat get sunburned?” and “Can my pregnant cat have catnip?”
Catster reader Blu asks: “My boyfriend has been staying with me. My cat, Vixen, whom I’ve had for eight years, isn’t adjusting very well. She hisses, growls, and lunges at him nonstop. He wants me to get rid of her by taking her to a shelter and doesn’t understand my attachment to her. Do you have any advice for me?”
Sarah Says: When I received this e-mail, my heart broke into little kibble pieces. I’m not a therapist, so please take this with a grain of litter. Now, I don’t know everyone’s side of the story or how serious this relationship is, so I’m making a few assumptions here.
Blu, it doesn’t sound like your boyfriend has made much of an effort to win your Vixen’s trust. It takes a lot of time to win the trust of a leery cat, and I’d recommend that your boyfriend try giving her special treats or catnip. Take small steps toward gaining her tolerance. It’s great if Vixen can hang out with your man in the same room without being upset. It doesn’t sound like your boyfriend’s safety is threatened. It does sound like his ego is a little bruised because of the special bond you have with your kitty. Some people just don’t jell with cats, and you can’t force it.
Even if he’s not a cat person, your boyfriend needs to learn to live with your kitty if he values your relationship. An ultimatum is manipulative and unkind, in my opinion. You should sit down and make it very clear how much you love Vixen and that she is part of your family.
If your boyfriend still insists on getting rid of the cat, I say it’s time to rethink who you want to spend your time with. Who knows — your kitty might be trying to tell you something about this guy.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...